Saturday, August 21, 2010

Count Von Count


This week's PhotoHunt theme is numerical.

The numerical value of this photo is not the number of buildings on the lefthand border. Instead, it is the length of the pier that extends behind them. The jetty is located in Busselton, Western Australia. It measures 1841 meters and is the longest wooden pier in the southern hemisphere. It was built 140 years ago because the shallow waters of the Geographe Bay didn't allow cargo ships to enter the area. The original jetty only measured 176 meters in length. However, due to accumulation of drifting sand the jetty was continually extended until it reached its current length in the 1960s. In 1971 the jetty was visited by its last commercial ship and it ceased being a working jetty. Today it is used exclusively for tourism and recreation.

5 comments:

  1. What an interesting post. Thanks for sharing the information (and photo). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maya, this is a very cool photo and great take on this week's theme. I like piers because they are the closest thing I can find to feel like I'm walking/running on water. With my seasick issues that is a blessing. I'm heading out to Manhattan Beach pier now but it is no where near the length of this amazing pier.

    Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm amazed that a pier has lasted that long. Here in NC, they get blown down by hurricanes every few decades. Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little behind on my comments. I like this shot of the pier. So different. I'm used to seeing it from the other side. Did you get to ride the train? We got there late in the day so we walked to the end. Fishermen were pulling up these beautiful colorful squids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marta, thanks for taking the time to read my past posts. The jetty has been closed for more than a year. It was supposed to be open on our last visit, but it looked like they were doing some finishing touches. I didn't see anything about a train and am not sure if it is still an attraction. I hope that one of these days the pier will be open so we can walk it.

    ReplyDelete