Thursday, June 10, 2010

I Am Now A Stocker

Last January, just about the time that Australia was in the middle of a heat wave, I came across a blog for a recipe for Homemade Vegetable Stock.  At the time I wasn't about to whip up a bowl of soup.  Well, maybe a nice cool gazpacho, but nothing that required a stock.  However, the recipe caught my eye because it has been a long time since I've bought a can of broth or stock at the grocery store.  I make my own with chicken, and I tend to use it across the board.  So when I read the simple recipe that the blogger claimed changed her into a "stocker", I book-marked the page for a rainy day.  Well, that day has come and gone and I have to share the fabulous recipe with you.  I know that my readers in the Northern Hemisphere are in the same shoes I was several months ago, but I suggest you note this recipe for future use.  You will not be disappointed.

Vegetable Stock
Adapted from Phoo-D

Ingredients:
2 leeks, rinsed, trimmed and chopped
3 medium onions,chopped
6 carrots, washed and chopped
8 celery stalks chopped, no leaves (they impart a bitter flavor)
1 bunch parsley stems
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
4 sprigs fresh thyme
24 cups cold water

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a large soup pot over high heat and bring the liquid to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for an hour.
Line strainer with cheese cloth and strain stock into a large bowl. Be sure to gently press down on solids to extract all flavor and liquid.  Discard the solids.
Stock can be used immediately, refrigerated or frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment