Wednesday, September 8, 2010

...We Salute You

As we sat in front of the fire on a cold winter day with some of Mark's collegesI was asked if there was anything I had missed out on since our arrival in Australia. I think Mark's jaw just about hit the ground when I stated that my only regret thus far was not attending the AC/DC concert. The only response to my comment was "Why on earth would want to hang out with a bunch of bogans?" Hmmmm, I couldn't deny that the band's music from their "For Those About To Rock" Album strikes a cord with me and causes me to sing along, but It wasn't so much because I wanted to relive my days as a rocker, but rather because the band is Australian.
I am not sure if back in the 80's when I had feathered hair and wore zipperpants I knew that AC/DC hailed from Australia. This fact was quickly brought to my attention when moving to Adelaide when I learned that Bon Scott, lead singer from 1974 until his death in 1980, lived in Adelaide. I've since leaned that the singer spent a good part of his life in Fremantle, Western Australia, and after his death by misadventure--alcohol poisoning--the singer's family interred his ashes in the western port city. I have yet to visit his grave, but on a recent trip to the area I sought out the statue of the iconic legend located at the Fremantle Fishing Boat Harbour.
The statue, created by Greg James, isn't hard to find and it is located right across from Circerello's. At first glance the bronze statue appears to be too small to be life-size. However, in real life Bon stood just 157 centimeters tall.
The enternalized singer stands atop an amplifier with a microphone at his mouth,and if you apply a little imagination you can almost hear him belting out Highway to Hell.



No comments:

Post a Comment