Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11 Remembered

Today's PhotoHunt theme is anniversary.

When I first saw today's PhotoHunt topic I was going to post a picture of a joyous moment. However, when I realized the date I decided to take a moment to remeber 9/11.
I set out from the house at just past 6:00 am for my early morning run.  As I approached Johnson Field I was greeted by the morning sun just peeking over the Sandia Mountains. With each lap I ran, as the brilliant reds and oranges faded, I had no idea that across the continent there were a series of events unfolding that would impact the world.
When I returned home, I was greeted at the entrance of our yard by my future husband. He grabbed my hand and led me to the back studio. His silence and urgency made me fearful, but it wasn't until I stood in front of the television watching the second airplane crash into the Twin Towers that I understood the severity of the situation. That moment will forever remain etched in my mind, and each time I see a sunrise over the Sandia Mountains I am reminded of the tragedy that  we commemorate today on its ninth anniversary.

1 comment:

  1. Many of us will never forget where we here when we first learned about the tragic events of 9/11 and how we reacted. I was in Philadelphia and when I heard of the first plane crashing into the World Trade Center, I thought it was a freak accident -- a student pilot making a big mistake, that kind of thing. Then, when I heard that a second plane had hit (from a friend I was e-mailing in New York to ask if he was safe)... :(

    ReplyDelete