Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mmm Mmm Good


My father's garden not only had an abundance of figs this year, but his tomato plants have produced some of the largest tomatoes I have ever seen! One of my favorite summer foods is Gazpacho made with fresh tomatoes straight from the garden.

Ingredients
4 very ripe tomatoes
1 cucumber (peeled and seeded)
1/2 small sweet onion
1/4 small bell pepper
1 garlic clove
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
salt to taste

Preparation
Cut a small x in the bottom of each tomato. Quickly dip them into boiling water and then remove the loosened skin. Cut the peeled tomatoes and place in a blender. Add remaining ingredients and blend. I prefer a thick gazpacho so I don't blend it too much.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent looking tomato. He did a great job in the garden. Ours were pretty wrinkly but his looks so nice. It is surprising what just a few (okay.. 200) miles south will do for the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how he does it but my Dad manages to grow some big tomatoes. They were pretty tasty. Unfortunately the weather has started to turn and there are still lots on the plant and I don't think they are going to ripen.

    ReplyDelete