Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Little Game



By looking at the above picture can you tell what this butcher, at the Adelaide Central Market, specializes in?  Maybe Skippy there in the corner will give you a hint.  Yep, that's right.  This stall sells kangaroo--mince, steaks, sausages, roasts, legs, and fillets.



I have yet to try the deep purple 'roo meat, but I have had several people tell me that it is very tasty and tender.  It is supposed to be good for you because not only is it high in protein and iron, but is also low in fat.
When I fist arrived in Australia, I was prepared to give kangaroo meat a try, or at least I was until I learned that all kangaroo meat comes from free ranging wild animals.   It isn't that I am against eating game; in fact, I support commercial kangaroo harvesting to control local populations.  I also feel that these native animals have less impact on the environment than cows and sheep.  However, every time I take a picture of a cute little guy, I worry that he may be one of my future meals!
It's funny, I never had that same feeling as I hiked across the pig farms of Aracena.  When I looked at the pigs, all I could see was a big plate of jamon serrano.  


2 comments:

  1. Hi Maya, this post made me giggle, especially that last part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy, did you try jamon serano while in Spain? When it is a really good quality I like it.

    ReplyDelete