Saturday, October 10, 2009

Everybody's Surfing Now...


This week's theme is sports.

Obviously, surfing is a sport associated with Australia.  Since I am from the desert, and afraid of water, I thought I would never take up this sport. However, on a trip to Wave Rock I thought I'd give it a try.
Wave Rock, one of Australia's most famous landforms, is located 350 km from Perth.  The shape of the wave is formed by gradual erosion of the softer rock beneath the upper edge.  The wave is about 15 metres high and approximately 110 meters long.  The colors of the Wave are caused by the rain washing chemical deposits (carbonates and iron hydroxide) down the face, forming vertical stripes of greys reds and yellows.
When visiting the Eyre Peninsula, I found another shark-less, granite monolith.  I think I improved my form while catching this wave.

11 comments:

  1. Cool! My children all surf, so I really like this. mine is up too, right here: http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/eden/

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it doesn't matter how cold it gets, you can still ride the rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great photos - looks like your riding a tsunmai!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Made me smile this morning. We did not get to Wave Rock on our visit to WA but we'd love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing pics and great choice for the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful pictures! those scenes are really interesting.

    mine's up too.

    http://hunnynicquee.blogspot.com/2009/10/photohunt-4-sports.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehehe so sporty, love the pics!

    This is my first time joining photo hunt, hope you can take a peek on my Athlete Spirit entry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, those ARe beautiful photos.. Following your blog now, hope to see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing pictures, you really like you are surfing.
    elaine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Maya, very cool photos and so creative and unique for the Sports theme! I also enjoyed reading about how these formations came about. They really look like surf's up... Great form by the way!

    Have a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eden-Your children are braver than I am.

    Alice-Yeah, I think you can ride the rock year round, but the bush flies probably get a bit thick in the summer!

    Quickroute-Tsunami, yikes!

    Marta-It was something I just had to see and we drove over 600 km in a day just to visit it--one of those crazy adventures.

    Life Ramblings, nicquee,chubskulit, elaine--Glad you all enjoyed the pictures.

    John-Thanks for stopping in, hope to see you around more.

    Kathy--I had to stretch it a bit to connect the theme to Australia since I don't have any Cricket or Aussie League Football photos.

    ReplyDelete