Thursday, August 11, 2011

On The Road Again


Everyday millions of people commute to work. Fortunately, as a housewife, this is one of those things I don't have to face. However, life hasn't always been so simple. Back in the late 70's, life in the Berry household wasn't sedentary. In a two year time frame we had moved  interstate (Indiana to New Mexico), intra-state (Las Cruces to Albuquerque), and inter-city (Near Northeast Heights to Spruce Park). By the time we hit the third move I decided I had had enough change and I was not about to switch schools mid-year. I'm not sure how the decision was made-probably lots of tears and hiding under the bed--but somehow I got my parents to agree that I could use public transportation between our new abode and my beloved mid-school halfway across town.
So with a mere 11 years under my belt, I joined the commuting forces.  It wasn't a simple journey and it involved a short walk, a 20 minute bus ride, a march across a deserted field, and a squeeze through a gap in the fence. For 7 long months, 5 days a week, I braved the elements. I didn't let anything, not even a flasher, stand between me and my beloved school. The bus ride was probably the highlight of my trip. It was a safe place where under, the watchful eye of the driver, I learned to have unconditional positive regard towards others.  Unfortunately, the school year eventually came to an end and my parents insisted that I transfer to the local school--a school that in reality was a much better place. However, that year of commuting taught me lessons that could never been learned in books and it was a very important part of my education.

No comments:

Post a Comment