Saturday, April 3, 2010

In A Glass Of Its Own


This weeks PhotoHunter theme is "sweet."

Last year while on a wine tour in Western Australia I was able to try some wonderful Ports--a sweet red wine.  Even though they weren't authentic Port, since they aren't from Portugal--they were still tasty.  
At one winery they served the strong, fortified wine in a unique glass.  You sip the spirits through a small spout.  The narrow opening of the glass and the fact that the liquid is sucked from the bottom of the glass reduces the oxidation of the beverage. The glasses were also designed so that your hand warms the spirits as you slowly enjoy your drink.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Maya, great photo and a very cool choice for this week's theme. That is so interesting to learn about sipping wine from the bottom of this glass to help reduce the oxidation. I have never heard of that before.

    Thanks so much for sharing. Happy Easter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I've never seen such a glass. It makes sense. I enjoy port but only small amounts at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy, I'm not sure if it really makes a difference in taste but it was a fun way to drink port. We had a long weekend for Easter and we went camping. I hope yours went well.

    Marta, like you I like port in small amounts. I also prefer to drink it in the winter when it is cold out.

    Suzer, it was at Waters Edge in the Swan Valley.

    ReplyDelete